July 4th is one day away, and the most important question buzzing around the Opici office is, ‘Have you stocked up on your wine yet?’ Sure, hot dogs and brewskies may be standard Fourth fare, but don’t forget about your favorite pours as you plan your spread. Not sure what wines go best with your cookout menu? Check out some of the Opici team’s top wine-and-food pairings for Independence Day below:
cc photo credit: daspader
- Kick off July 4th on a sweet note with some delicious Opici Sangria. Add slices of fresh fruit, like apples and oranges, and a splash of brandy to give it a festive kick.
- There’s nothing like a delicious bowl of guacamole and chips. Pair this snack with some chilled Dom Bertiol Prosecco.
- You don’t need any food to enjoy some sparkle — Donelli Lambrusco Reggiano pairs perfectly with some shades, a raft, and a pool. But since you’ll already have the grill going, BBQ pizza is a great complement to this wine.
- For all of you seafood fans, try a chilled glass of De Martino Legado Reserva Chardonnay with fresh grilled fish. Or enjoy some Domaine Philippe Portier Cuvée des Victoires Quincy with skewers of shrimp, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and grapes.
- Celebrating down South? We’ve got you covered. According to our Southeast Regional Manager, “In the sunny South where July 4th means grilling and the ‘pound the table’ favorites are pork ribs or pulled pork, there are two proven winners. When it comes to rich, smoky pork from the grill, one could do no better than De Martino 347 or Legado series Carmenère. The rustic, complex flavors of the Carmenère are a crazy good pairing with anything from the grill, but when it comes to pork, forget about it ….”
- Sausage lovers will be in July 4th bliss with a glass of Carpineto Chianti Classico Riserva and some sweet pork sausage with grilled onions, red peppers, and tomato with fresh basil.
- Of course, we can’t forget about the burger, or if you’re going deluxe, the bacon cheeseburger. Grab a glass of Ruca Malen Malbec or Zin 91 and enjoy! And keep that Zin 91 around for the always-popular July 4th side dish: baked beans.
- If a bun isn’t your thing, throw a nice New York Strip on the grill, top it with some bleu cheese, and uncork a bottle of Ruca Malen Malbec for your perfect Fourth meal.
- It’s always a good idea to throw some veggies into your July 4th spread. Try sipping Altadonna Vermentino or Fattoria di Magliano Pagliatura Vermentino with some grilled zucchini. Or pour some Carpineto Farnito Chardonnay with this delicious herbed tomato bread salad, shared by our Mid Atlantic Regional Manager:
In a a bowl whisk together 5T red wine vinegar, 5 minced garlic cloves with a pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in 1 1/4 cup EVOO. Add 10 cups of crusty bread cubes, 2 pounds red tomato wedges, 2 pounds yellow tomato wedges, and 2 pounds cherry tomatoes (cut in half). Add 1 1/4 cup pitted black olives, 1/1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped, and 5 T fresh Marjoram leaves (or Oregano) chopped fine. Toss to combine well, and add salt and pepper to taste. Let sit a room temperature for 20 minutes prior to serving.
- When it comes to dessert, indulge in some good old-fashioned apple pie with a cool glass of Villa Rosa Moscato. Or, pair this sweet, sparkling wine with an Opici family favorite: sugar cookies (sure to be at every Opici holiday).
Cheers to a very happy July 4th!