Bigi was founded by Luigi Bigi in 1880 in the central Italian region of Umbria. Today, it is one of the leading wineries in Orvieto, producing the classic white wine of the same name.
The cellar was originally located in a former Franciscan monastery called “La Trinità” in Orvieto, but moved to a modern facility in Ponte Giulio in the 1970s, equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, allowing them to implement traditional techniques using modern conveniences.
One of the most prestigious producers of Orvieto, Bigi oversees nearly 200 hectares of vineyards in the “Classico” zone of the Orvieto DOC. The majority of the vines, about 70%, produce white grapes, but the winery produces a selection of notable reds.