Bodega Goulart dates back to 1915, when military Marshall Gastao Goulart — a Brazilian military leader who was in political exile in Argentina — purchased two 15-hectare properties in Mendoza and planted them with Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon vines. In 1928, Gastao expanded his estate with the purchase of a 28-hectare property in Lunlunta. Gastao returned to Brazil to lead the country’s Constitutional Revolution in 1932, leaving this land behind.
Decades later, Gastao’s granddaughter Erika discovered the deed to the properties in Mendoza. A marketing professional in Brazil, Erika made a drastic life change and moved to Mendoza in 1988 to pursue the wine business. Together with experienced agricultural engineer Mauricio Parodi, Erika restored her grandfather’s land both through replanting and rehabilitating original vines. It took nearly six years to achieve optimal conditions for wine production.
Erika then worked with winemaking consultant Luis Barraud to realize her vision of producing quality wines for commercial sale.
Located in Luján de Cuyo in the province of Mendoza, the estate benefits from its proximity to the Mendoza River, as well as the area’s sunny climate. Among the winery’s vineyards is the Don Pedro vineyard — named for Erika’s eldest son — which is located in the prestigious Lunlunta area, home to only five wine producers. The Goulart estate also includes the Don Lucas vineyard, named for Erika’s youngest son, and the Don Jose vineyard, named for Erika’s husband.